- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- Books & Calendars for Jewish New Year 2020
- Paperbacks for Summer 2020
- Race Relations...
- Virtual Browsing Book List
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Lisa C's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Sara's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Books for Understanding Our World
- Graduation Gift Books
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- 2020-21 Red Clover Award
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- Father's Day
- British Library Crime Classics
- Mother's Day 2020 Suggestions
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Melanie Finn | The Hare - pre-order & signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes
You are here
Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination (Hardcover)
Usually Available in 3-7 Days
J.K. Rowling, one of the world's most inspiring writers, shares her wisdom and advice.
In 2008, J.K. Rowling delivered a deeply affecting commencement speech at Harvard University. Now published for the first time in book form, VERY GOOD LIVES presents J.K. Rowling's words of wisdom for anyone at a turning point in life. How can we embrace failure? And how can we use our imagination to better both ourselves and others?
Drawing from stories of her own post-graduate years, the world famous author addresses some of life's most important questions with acuity and emotional force.
About the Author
J.K. Rowling is the author of the bestselling Harry Potter series and The Casual Vacancy, a novel for adults. Under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith, she is the author of the Cormoran Strike crime series, including The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm. As well as an Order of the British Empire for services to children's literature, she is the recipient of numerous awards and honorary degrees. She lives in Edinburgh.
"Humble and moving, full of ideals one hopes the world's most privileged young people will take to heart."—Ron Charles, Washington Post
"A beautifully illustrated little book."—Shaun Fitzpatrick, Bustle
"Include[s] plenty of uplifting nuggets and words of wisdom."—Eliza Thompson, Cosmo.com
"It's sure to be a favorite gift for new graduates."—Michael Giltz, Huffington Post
"One of the author's all-time most inspirational speeches."—Josh Wigler, MTV.com
"The graduation gift book of the spring."—Jocelyn McClurg, USA Today