- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- What to Read Next...
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - pre-order and signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes
You are here
The Selected Canterbury Tales: A New Verse Translation (Paperback)
Usually Available in 1-5 Days
"A truly remarkable achievement." —Barry Unsworth
In the tradition of Seamus Heaney’s Beowulf and Marie Borroff’s Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Sheila Fisher’s The Selected Canterbury Tales is a vivid, lively, and readable translation of the most famous work of England’s premier medieval poet. Preserving Chaucer’s rhyme and meter, Fisher makes these tales accessible to a contemporary ear while inviting readers to the Middle English original on facing pages. Her informative introduction highlights Chaucer’s artistic originality in his memorable portrayals of surprisingly modern women and men from across the spectrum of medieval society.
About the Author
Sheila Fisher is a professor of English at Trinity College. She lives in Sandy Hook, Connecticut.
In setting the scene for an informed understanding of Chaucer and his background, Fisher shows herself a true professional.
— Peter Green
Shelia Fisher's vibrant new verse translation captures in contemporary English the rhymes, the rhythms, the wit, the earnestness, and the game of the best-known Canterbury Tales.
— Warren Ginsberg, Knight Professor of the Humanities, Univeristy of Oregon