- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- Race Relations...
- Virtual Browsing Book List
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Books for Understanding Our World
- Halloween Books
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- Preorder Now!
- 2020-21 Red Clover Award
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- British Library Crime Classics
- Book Angel Suggestions 2020
- 2021 Calendars
- On Inclusion... for young readers
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Melanie Finn | The Hare - pre-order & signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes
You are here
The Outdoor Kitchen: Live-Fire Cooking from the Grill [A Cookbook] (Hardcover)
Usually Available in 3-7 Days
Anyone can learn to cook outside over a fire with this dazzling guide to setting up an outdoor kitchen, featuring practical tips and 80 recipes from the award-winning chef of Hartwood in Tulum, Mexico.
Chef Eric Werner cooks nearly every dish served at Hartwood over wood fire, without gas or electricity, and when he's not at the restaurant, he's making delicious meals for his family, grilled in his own backyard outdoor kitchen. In this book, Werner shares the secrets to and recipes for simple, unrestricted, foolproof outdoor cooking in a way that reimagines the way you cook at home.
Whether you already have a grill or have never cooked outdoors before, The Outdoor Kitchen provides all the tools and inspiration you need. Featuring step-by-step blueprints for constructing your own outdoor kitchen plus variations and modifications for store-bought grills, this handbook shows you how to build a high heat quickly and achieve a perfect sear.
The recipes range from grilled meats, fish, and vegetables to marinades, quick pickles, cocktails, and desserts, including:
• Grilled Lamb Chops and Burnt Cherries
• Rib Eye for One with Onion Jam
• Salmon and Almond-Tarragon Salsa Verde
• Grilled & Pickled Zucchini
• Grilled Romaine with Smoked Fish Dressing
• Burnt Strawberry Ice Cream
Whether you're cooking for yourself or your family on a weeknight or entertaining guests on the weekend, all the recipes are straightforward, with just a few ingredients and simple methods, for dishes that emphasize fresh flavor and the magic of wood-fired cooking.
About the Author
Eric Werner is the chef and owner of Hartwood restaurant in Tulum, Mexico, which he opened with his wife, Mya, in 2010. Situated between the Yucatán jungle and the Caribbean Sea, Hartwood is renowned for highlighting local Mayan ingredients and for its staunch dedication to wood-fire cooking, garnering acclaim from publications such as Bon Appétit, Vogue, and the New York Times. His first book, Hartwood: Bright, Wild Flavors from the Edge of the Yucatán, was the recipient of the IACP Cookbook Award for Culinary Travel.
Nils Bernstein is the food editor for Wine Enthusiast magazine, and writes and develops recipes for such publications as Bon Appétit, Epicurious, GQ, New York Times, Cooking Light, and Men's Journal.
“The simple, silent, elegance of cooking with fire is a summary of our craft that takes us to the true realm of taste and living.”—Francis Mallmann, author of Mallmann on Fire
“This is my favorite way to cook. Eric captures the joy of grilling outside over an open fire—how it intimately connects you to nature, to the seasons, and to your ingredients.”—Alice Waters, Chez Panisse