- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- Race Relations...
- Virtual Browsing Book List
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Books for Understanding Our World
- Halloween Books
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- Preorder Now!
- 2020-21 Red Clover Award
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- British Library Crime Classics
- Book Angel Suggestions 2020
- 2021 Calendars
- On Inclusion... for young readers
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Melanie Finn | The Hare - pre-order & signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes
You are here
Afoot and Lighthearted: A Journal for Mindful Walking (Diary)
On Our Shelves Now (email to confirm availability)
A guided journal for walkers who want to expand their physical and creative worlds through acts of mindfulness.
SILVER MEDAL WINNER OF THE NAUTILUS BOOK AWARD • “Beautifully designed . . . I’d like to give a copy of this smart, fetching book to everyone I know.”—Susannah Felts, BookPage
Afoot and Lighthearted will teach readers how to harness the power of walking to cultivate and nourish attention, inspiration, and determination, as well as to combat distraction, anxiety, and the dreaded creative block.
Organized around thematic prompts designed to help makers take a break from digital life and tap into the transformational magic of creative journaling, Afoot and Lighthearted introduces us to innovative walkers throughout literature, art, philosophy, and history, and it offers encouragement in the form of inspirational quotes. Supported by light illustrations and evidence from recent research on the compelling connection between walking and well-being, Afoot and Lighthearted offers a fresh perspective every step of the way, much like a walk itself.
About the Author
BONNIE SMITH WHITEHOUSE, Ph.D., is a professor of English at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee, who has been teaching an innovative interdisciplinary course on walking, writing, and well-being for over six years. She specializes in the field of writing studies and is dedicated to producing written work that brings academic findings to a curious general readership. She has previously published for academic audiences on how readers "change their lives" through reading novels. Whitehouse seeks to help others cultivate creativity, well-being, and peace by prompting them to engage thoughtfully and contemplatively with the natural world.
“[A] lovely little handbook . . . Whitehouse reminds us that the act of walking is simple, but its effects can be profound—and likely more beneficial than we realize.”—Tina Chambers, for Chapter 16