- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- August 2020 Birthday Sale
- Paperbacks for Summer 2020
- Race Relations...
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Lisa C's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Sara's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Graduation Gift Books
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- Father's Day
- Mother's Day 2020 Suggestions
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes
You are here
Tin Man: A Novel (Large Print / Paperback)
Hard to Find (may be out of print - email to check availability)
Summer 2019 Reading Group Indie Next List
“A beautiful, gentle, lulling story of friendship, love, loss, and loyalty. Winman’s keen insight and his ability to welcome the reader into the intimate, real, and at times quite painful lives of Michael, Ellis, Annie, Dora, and Mabel are a rare gift. Tin Man, which spans from 1950 to 1996, is beautifully set in the small town of Oxford, outside of London, and includes jaunts to Provence. The moment I read the final words of this short gem, I turned back to the first page and began again.”
— Linda McLoughlin Figel, pages: a bookstore, Manhattan Beach, CA
From internationally bestselling author Sarah Winman comes an unforgettable and heartbreaking novel celebrating love in all its forms, and the little moments that make up the life of one man.
"My favorite book of the year was Tin Man. Sparsely written and achingly beautiful...The most powerful take on love, loss and vulnerability I've read in years."--A Cup of Jo
This is almost a love story. But it's not as simple as that.
Ellis and Michael are twelve-year-old boys when they first become friends, and for a long time it is just the two of them, cycling the streets of Oxford, teaching themselves how to swim, discovering poetry, and dodging the fists of overbearing fathers. And then one day this closest of friendships grows into something more.
But then we fast-forward a decade or so, to find that Ellis is married to Annie, and Michael is nowhere in sight. Which leads to the question: What happened in the years between?
With beautiful prose and characters that are so real they jump off the page, Tin Man is a love letter to human kindness and friendship, and to loss and living.
About the Author
Sarah Winman is the author of two previous novels, When God Was a Rabbit and A Year of Marvelous Ways. She grew up in Essex and now lives in London. She attended the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art and went on to act in theatre, film, and television.