- My Account
- Contact and Hours/ About Us
- Contact us
- For Authors
- Who We Are
- Shop the Bookstore
- Browse Books by Category
- Biography, History, Current Events & Culture
- Children's Board Books & Picture Books
- Children's Chapter Books & Graphic Novels
- Children's Non-fiction & Activities
- Fiction including Mystery & Fantasy
- Health, Psychology & Parenting
- Humor, Reference & Gifts
- Music, Art, Crafts and Design
- Mythology, Religion, Metaphysics & Inspiration
- Poetry, Essays & Bibliophilia
- Science, Nature, Gardening & Cooking
- Travel, Adventure & Sports
- Young Adult Fiction & Non-fiction
- Gift Cards
- Staff Picks
- Featured & Seasonal Lists
- Cards and Gift Wrapping
- Blank Books and Journals
- Toys and Games
- Jigsaw Puzzles
- Literary Gifts and More...
- Browse Books by Category
- Special Programs
- Book Angel Donation
- Registered Reading Groups
- Our Rewards Program
- Happy Birthday Discount Card
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Signed First Editions
- Melanie Finn | The Hare - signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | A Distant Grave - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Birthday Book Collection
You are here
The Runaway King (The Ascendance Series, Book 2) (Hardcover)
Hard to Find (may be out of print - email to check availability)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 2 in the The Ascendance Series series.
Spring '13 Kids List
“Jaron is off and running again in the second volume of The Ascendance Trilogy, this time not as a false prince but as the newly anointed King of Carthya. And he's running for his life! With few friends and plenty of people, including pirates, who would rather see him dead, Jaron decides to run straight toward the trouble that lays in wait for him. Who can he trust? Who will become his ally? Nielsen once again keeps up a breakneck pace in this very satisfying fantasy.”
— Anne Holman, The King's English, Salt Lake City, UT
A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the thrilling sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's New York Times bestselling blockbuster The False Prince!
Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom?
The stunning second installment of The Ascendance Series takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King!
And don't miss the highly anticipated fourth book in the series, The Captive Kingdom, coming October 2020!
About the Author
- Jennifer A. Nielsen is the acclaimed author of the New York Times and USA Today bestselling Ascendance Series: The False Prince, The Runaway King, The Shadow Throne, The Captive Kingdom, and The Shattered Castle. She also wrote the New York Times bestseller The Traitor's Game and its sequels,The Deceiver's Heart, and The Warrior's Curse; the New York Times bestselling Mark of the Thief trilogy: Mark of the Thief, Rise of the Wolf, and Wrath of the Storm; the standalone fantasy The Scourge; and the critically acclaimed historical thrillers A Night Divided, Resistance, Words on Fire, Rescue, and Lines of Courage. Jennifer collects old books, loves good theater, and thinks that a quiet afternoon in the mountains makes for a nearly perfect moment. She lives in northern Utah with her family, and is probably sneaking in a bite of dark chocolate right now. You can visit her online at jennielsen.com or follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @nielsenwriter.
Praise for The False Prince:
A New York Times Notable Children's Book
A Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year
A Chicago Public Library "Best of the Best" Children's Book Selection
A Chicago Public Library "Children's Books for Year-Round Gift Giving" Selection
Winner of the Cybils Award for Middle-Grade Fantasy & Science Fiction
"A page-turner." -- New York Times Book Review
"Sage proves to be a compelling character whose sharp mind and shrewd self-possession will make readers eager to follow him into a sequel." -- Wall Street Journal
"A swashbuckling origin story . . . chock-full of alluring details for adventure-loving boys." -- Los Angeles Times
"An impressive, promising story." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
"Ruthless ambition, fierce action and plotting, complex characters, and lots of sword play keep pages flipping." -- Kirkus Reviews
"Should appeal to fans of . . . Suzanne Collins. . . . A sure-fire mix of adventure, mystery, and suspense." -- The Horn Book
Praise for The Runaway King:
"High adventure abounds with nail-biting drama." -- Kirkus Reviews
"Nielsen tells an exciting, breakneck tale. . . ." -- Publishers Weekly
"A fast-paced and thrilling read with twists and turns that never let up." -- School Library Journal
"As jammed with action and violent swordplay as its predecessor." -- Booklist
"A great read." -- The Horn Book