- My Account
- Contact and Hours/ About Us
- Contact us
- For Authors
- Who We Are
- Shop the Bookstore
- Browse Books by Category
- Biography, History, Current Events & Culture
- Children's Board Books & Picture Books
- Children's Chapter Books & Graphic Novels
- Children's Non-fiction & Activities
- Fiction including Mystery & Fantasy
- Health, Psychology & Parenting
- Humor, Reference & Gifts
- Music, Art, Crafts and Design
- Mythology, Religion, Metaphysics & Inspiration
- Poetry, Essays & Bibliophilia
- Science, Nature, Gardening & Cooking
- Travel, Adventure & Sports
- Young Adult Fiction & Non-fiction
- Gift Cards
- Staff Picks
- Featured & Seasonal Lists
- Cards and Gift Wrapping
- Blank Books and Journals
- Toys and Games
- Jigsaw Puzzles
- Literary Gifts and More...
- Browse Books by Category
- Special Programs
- Book Angel Donation
- Registered Reading Groups
- Our Rewards Program
- Happy Birthday Discount Card
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Signed First Editions
- Melanie Finn | The Hare - pre-order & signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Birthday Book Collection
You are here
The False Prince (The Ascendance Series, Book 1): (Book 1 of the Ascendance Trilogy) (CD-Audio)
Hard to Find (may be out of print - email to check availability)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the The Ascendance Series series.
- #2: The Runaway King (Ascendance Series, Book 2) (The Ascendance Series #2) (Paperback): $7.99
- #3: The Shadow Throne (Ascendance Series, Book 3) (The Ascendance Series #3) (Paperback): $7.99
- #4: The Captive Kingdom (Ascendance Series, Book 4) (Unabridged edition) (The Ascendance Series #4) (CD-Audio): $39.99
kids Kids Indie Next List
“Led by the intimidating but brilliant Connor, four orphans are forced to compete for the essential role in a treasonous plot -- that of impersonating the long-disappeared Prince Jaron of Carthya. Set in the Middle Ages, this tale invites readers to follow 15-year-old Sage, a defiant and witty orphan, through a twisted, dangerous, and all-consuming journey that, if unsuccessful, will result in his death. Full of suspense and dark humor, The False Prince is a compelling read. I look forward to Book Two”
— Stephenie McCollum, Copperfield's Books, Santa Rosa, CA
New York Times bestseller The False Prince thrills with wild twists and turns, danger and deceit, and the revelation of hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.
In a discontented kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.
As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.
An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.
And don't miss the highly anticipated fourth book in the series, The Captive Kingdom, coming October 2020!
About the Author
Jennifer A. Nielsen is the acclaimed author of the New York Times and USA Today bestselling Ascendance Series: The False Prince, The Runaway King, The Shadow Throne, and The Captive Kingdom. She also wrote the New York Times bestselling Mark of the Thief trilogy: Mark of the Thief, Rise of the Wolf, and Wrath of the Storm; the stand-alone fantasy The Scourge; the historical thrillers A Night Divided, Resistance, and Words on Fire; the second book in the Horizon series, Deadzone; Book Six of the Infinity Ring series, Behind Enemy Lines; and The Traitor's Game series: The Traitor's Game, The Deceiver's Heart, and The Warrior's Curse. Jennifer lives in northern Utah with her husband, their children, and a perpetually muddy dog.
Praise for The False Prince
"A page turner..." -The New York Times Book Review
"Sage proves to be a compelling character whose sharp mind and shrewd self-possession will make readers eager to follow him into a sequel." -The Wall Street Journal
"[A] swashbuckling origin story... Sage is a quick wit, and Nielsen showcases it with terrific dialogue... chock full of alluring details for adventure-loving boys." -Los Angeles Times
*"Sage is deftly characterized through humorous first-person narration, quickly establishing himself as a beguiling antihero... [A]n impressive, promising story with some expertly executed twists." -Publishers Weekly, starred review
"[A] terrific story that carries readers along to the very (surprising) end and will leave them clamoring for the next book in her trilogy." -BookPage, featured "Top Pick" review
"[M]ore Harry Potter (minus the magic) than Hunger Games... with authentic characters, a convincing sense of danger and a genuinely high-stakes plot." -The Hollywood Reporter
"[A] surefire mix of adventure, mystery, and suspense." -Horn Book