- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- Books & Calendars for Jewish New Year 2020
- Paperbacks for Summer 2020
- Race Relations...
- Virtual Browsing Book List
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Lisa C's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Sara's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Books for Understanding Our World
- Graduation Gift Books
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- 2020-21 Red Clover Award
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- Father's Day
- British Library Crime Classics
- Mother's Day 2020 Suggestions
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Melanie Finn | The Hare - pre-order & signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes
You are here
The People vs. Democracy: Why Our Freedom Is in Danger and How to Save It (Paperback)
Usually Available in 3-7 Days
A New York Times Book Review Editors' Choice
"Everyone worried about the state of contemporary politics should read this book."
"A trenchant survey from 1989, with its democratic euphoria, to the current map of autocratic striving."
--David Remnick, New Yorker
The world is in turmoil. From Russia and Turkey across Europe to the United States, authoritarian populists have seized power as two core components of liberal democracy--individual rights and the popular will--are increasingly at war. As the role of money in politics has soared, a system of "rights without democracy" has taken hold. Populists who rail against this say they want to return power to the people. But in practice they create something just as bad: a system of "democracy without rights." Yascha Mounk offers a clear and trenchant analysis of what ails our democracy and what it will take to get it back on track.
"Democracy is going through its worst crisis since the 1930s... But what exactly is the nature of this crisis? And what is driving it? The People vs. Democracy stands out in a crowded field for the quality of its answers to these questions."
"Brilliant... As this superb book makes clear, we need both the liberal framework and the democracy, and bringing them back together is the greatest challenge of our time."
--Los Angeles Times
"Extraordinary...provides a clear, concise, persuasive, and insightful account of the conditions that made liberal democracy work--and how the breakdown in those conditions is the source of the current crisis of democracy around the world."