- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- Paperbacks for Summer 2020
- Race Relations...
- Virtual Browsing Book List
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Books for Understanding Our World
- Graduation Gift Books
- Halloween Books
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- Preorder Now!
- 2020-21 Red Clover Award
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- Father's Day
- British Library Crime Classics
- Mother's Day 2020 Suggestions
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Melanie Finn | The Hare - pre-order & signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes
You are here
River of Smoke: A Novel (The Ibis Trilogy #2) (Paperback)
Usually Available in 3-7 Days
Other Books in Series
This is book number 2 in the The Ibis Trilogy series.
A New York Times Book Review Editors' Choice
A Washington Post Notable Fiction Book of Year
A NPR Best Book of the Year
In Amitav Ghosh's Sea of Poppies, the Ibis began its treacherous journey across the Indian Ocean, bound for the cane fields of Mauritius with a cargo of indentured servants. Now, in River of Smoke, the former slave ship flounders in the Bay of Bengal, caught in the midst of a deadly cyclone. The storm also threatens the clipper ship Anahita, groaning with the largest consignment of opium ever to leave India for Canton. Meanwhile, the Redruth, a nursery ship, carries horticulturists determined to track down the priceless botanical treasures of China. All will converge in Canton's Fanqui-town, or Foreign Enclave, a powder keg awaiting a spark to ignite the Opium Wars. A spectacular adventure, but also a bold indictment of global avarice, River of Smoke is a consuming historical novel with powerful contemporary resonance.
About the Author
Amitav Ghosh is the internationally bestselling author of many works of fiction and nonfiction, including The Glass Palace, and is the recipient of numerous awards and prizes. Ghosh divides his time between Kolkata and Goa, India, and Brooklyn, New York.
“Brilliantly done…A monumental tribute to the pain and glory of an earlier era of globalization…There will be more, undoubtedly, when the final installment of the Ibis trilogy arrives. I can hardly bear to wait.” —The Washington Post
“Gripping…Ghosh has made humanely clear the cold cynicism of the Opium Wars.” —Richard Eder, The Boston Globe
“Ghosh continues to amaze. Few authors since Melville and Joyce have excelled at both rambunctious, rangy linguistic play and deeply and lovingly observed human insight like this.” —Minneapolis Star Tribune
“Masterful…River of Smoke is a wonderful mixture of people, places, and story that captures a moment in history like an insect snared in amber.” —Seattle Post-Intelligencer
“Wonderful…[Gosh] is creating one of the best historical narratives in recent memory.” —Time Out (New York)