- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- August 2020 Birthday Sale
- Paperbacks for Summer 2020
- Race Relations...
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Lisa C's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Sara's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Graduation Gift Books
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- Father's Day
- Mother's Day 2020 Suggestions
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes
You are here
Into the Beautiful North (Compact Disc)
Email or call for price
Out of Print (email to check availability of used copies)
June 2009 Indie Next List
“What do you do if the men have left your village? Nayeli and her friends leave their Mexican village on a quest to bring a few good men home. Luis Alberto Urrea's latest novel is beautifully written, and is full of humor and humanity.”
— Deon Stonehouse, Sunriver Books, Sunriver, OR
Nineteen-year-old Nayeli works at a taco shop in her Mexican village and dreams about her father, who left the family to work in the United States. Recently, it has dawned on her that he isn't the only man who has left town. In fact, there are almost no men in the village--they've all gone north. While watching The Magnificent Seven, Nayeli decides to go north herself and recruit seven men--her own "Siete Magnificos"--to repopulate her hometown and protect it from the bandidos who plan on taking it over. Filled with unforgettable characters and prose as radiant as the Sinaloan sun, Into the Beautiful North is the story of an irresistible young woman's quest to find herself on both sides of the fence.
About the Author
Luis Alberto Urrea, one of America's most critically acclaimed writers, is the author of "The Hummingbird's Daughter," "The Devil's Highway," and "Across the Wire."
Susan Ericksen, an Audie Award and "AudioFile" Earphones Award winner, has recorded many audiobooks, including "Naked in Death" by J. D. Robb.
"[A] lush, rollicking novel of quests, self-discovery, and romance." ---Booklist Starred Review