- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- Graduation Gift Books
- Race Relations...
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Lisa C's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Sara's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- Father's Day
- Mother's Day 2020 Suggestions
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes
You are here
Secret Sisters of the Salty Sea (Compact Disc)
Special Order (email to check availability)
Newbery Medalist Lynne Rae Perkins introduces two irresistible sisters--Alix and Jools--and takes readers on an unforgettable vacation to the beach.
This is a joyful celebration of sisters, family, friendship, and the ocean. The Wall Street Journal said, "Ocean meets sky meets two young girls in Lynne Rae Perkins's affectionate chapter book. A sunny summer story." For fans of Kate DiCamillo and Rebecca Stead.
Alix and her older sister, Jools, have never been to the ocean. When their parents pack them up to spend a week by the shore, Alix is nervous about leaving home--but excited, too. At the beach, the sisters make friends, go exploring, and have adventures big and small. To Alix's surprise, as the week comes to an end, she finds she doesn't want to leave
Each chapter contains its own miniature discovery--from picking periwinkles, meeting a crab, and making sandcastles, to exploring the nearby town. Award-winning author Lynne Rae Perkins has beautifully crafted a genuine and engaging novel about sisters, family, and exploration.
A great read-aloud, as well as a good choice for newly independent readers. Booklist said, "Ordinary pleasures, in the hands of a writer so skilled, are elevated."