- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- Books & Calendars for Jewish New Year 2020
- Paperbacks for Summer 2020
- Race Relations...
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Lisa C's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Sara's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Books for Understanding Our World
- Graduation Gift Books
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- 2020-21 Red Clover Award
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- Father's Day
- British Library Crime Classics
- Mother's Day 2020 Suggestions
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Melanie Finn | The Hare - pre-order & signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes
You are here
Now We Shall Be Entirely Free (Paperback)
On Our Shelves Now (email to confirm availability)
Sometimes you just need a good story. If it's well-written and moves swiftly of its own accord, well then you are lucky indeed. NWSBEF is all that and so so good. It's the kind of book you just can't wait to get back to after you've put it down, the kind you slow down at the end to delay the finish. A British Napoleonic war soldier had some, shall we say, issues, in a village in Spain at the end of the campaign. He's hightailed it back to his estate and is soon on the run in the wild islands of Scotland, trailed by two men eager to track him down. NWSBEF is an adventure story, a love story, a war story, a helluva story. With a little philosophy tucked in. It's kind of perfect. Especially now.— From Carin's Picks
A NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE BOOK OF 2019
"Mr. Miller strikes an impressive balance between adventure and atmosphere."--The Wall Street Journal
When Captain John Lacroix returns home from Spain, wounded, unconscious, and alone, he believes that he has seen the worst of what men may do. It is 1809, and in England's wars against Napoleon, the Battle of Corruna stands out as a humiliation: a once-proud army forced to retreat, civilized men reduced to senseless acts of cruelty.
Slowly regaining his health, Lacroix journeys north to the misty isles of Scotland with the intent of forgetting the horrors of the war. Unbeknownst to him, however, something else has followed him back from the war--something far more dangerous than a memory...
About the Author
Andrew Miller is one of Britain's leading novelists. He has won the IMPAC Dublin Literary Award, and shortlisted for the Booker Prize and the Whitbread Novel Award. His bestselling novel Pure, a Costa Book Award winner, has received widespread acclaim and was a best-seller for Europa in 2012. Now We Shall Be Entirely Free is his eighth novel.