- My Account
- Contact and Hours/ About Us
- Contact us
- For Authors
- Who We Are
- Shop the Bookstore
- Browse Books by Category
- Biography, History, Current Events & Culture
- Children's Board Books & Picture Books
- Children's Chapter Books & Graphic Novels
- Children's Non-fiction & Activities
- Fiction including Mystery & Fantasy
- Health, Psychology & Parenting
- Humor, Reference & Gifts
- Music, Art, Crafts and Design
- Mythology, Religion, Metaphysics & Inspiration
- Poetry, Essays & Bibliophilia
- Science, Nature, Gardening & Cooking
- Travel, Adventure & Sports
- Young Adult Fiction & Non-fiction
- Gift Cards
- Staff Picks
- Featured & Seasonal Lists
- Cards and Gift Wrapping
- Blank Books and Journals
- Toys and Games
- Jigsaw Puzzles
- Literary Gifts and More...
- Browse Books by Category
- Special Programs
- Book Angel Donation
- Registered Reading Groups
- Our Rewards Program
- Happy Birthday Discount Card
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Signed First Editions
- Melanie Finn | The Hare - pre-order & signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Birthday Book Collection
You are here
The Heart of Centering Prayer: Nondual Christianity in Theory and Practice (Paperback)
Usually Available in 3-7 Days
Perceiving nondual awareness through the Christian contemplative method called Centering Prayer--an in-depth introduction to theory and practice by the best-selling author The Wisdom Jesus and The Meaning of Mary Magdalene.
Centering Prayer is the path to a wonderful and radical new way of seeing the world. It is not, as is sometimes thought, simply an act of devotional piety, nor is it simply a Christianized form of other meditation methods. Cynthia Bourgeault here cuts through the misconceptions to show that Centering Prayer is in fact a pioneering development within the Christian contemplative tradition. She provides a practical, complete course in the practice and then goes deeper to analyze what actually happens in Centering Prayer: the mind effectively switches to a new operating system that makes possible the perception of nonduality. With this understanding in place, she then takes us on a journey through one of the sources of the practice, the Christian contemplative classic The Cloud of Unknowing, revealing it to be among the earliest Christian explorations of the phenomenology of consciousness.
Cynthia Bourgeault’s illumination of the Centering Prayer path provides compelling evidence of how important the practice has become in the half-century since it first arose among American Trappist monks, and of its maturation and refinement over the ensuing years of sincere study and practice. It will resonate with beginners on the Centering Prayer path as well as with seasoned practitioners.
About the Author
CYNTHIA BOURGEAULT, PhD, is an Episcopal priest, teacher, and retreat and conference leader. The author of several books, she lectures and gives workshops throuhgout North America and the world
"A masterpiece of spiritual wisdom firmly rooted in the Christian mystical tradition. A brilliant analysis of nondual Christianity in theory and in practice and a major contribution to the Centering Prayer movement and to interspiritual dialogue." --Thomas Keating, author of Open Mind, Open Heart
“A profound resource. The Heart of Centering Prayer provides a holistic, embodied, rounded and grounded depth to Centering Prayer for both the committed and the new practitioner. It also continues Thomas Keating's wisdom teaching in the most meaningful and singular way, so that the practice (and Christian contemplation itself) can stand in dialogue with other traditions and the sciences for the new millennium.”--David Frenette, author of The Path of Centering Prayer