- My Account
- Contact and Hours/ About Us
- Contact us
- For Authors
- Who We Are
- Shop the Bookstore
- Browse Books by Category
- Biography, History, Current Events & Culture
- Children's Board Books & Picture Books
- Children's Chapter Books & Graphic Novels
- Children's Non-fiction & Activities
- Fiction including Mystery & Fantasy
- Health, Psychology & Parenting
- Humor, Reference & Gifts
- Music, Art, Crafts and Design
- Mythology, Religion, Metaphysics & Inspiration
- Poetry, Essays & Bibliophilia
- Science, Nature, Gardening & Cooking
- Travel, Adventure & Sports
- Young Adult Fiction & Non-fiction
- Gift Cards
- Staff Picks
- Featured & Seasonal Lists
- Cards and Gift Wrapping
- Blank Books and Journals
- Toys and Games
- Jigsaw Puzzles
- Literary Gifts and More...
- Browse Books by Category
- Special Programs
- Book Angel Donation
- Registered Reading Groups
- Our Rewards Program
- Happy Birthday Discount Card
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Signed First Editions
- Melanie Finn | The Hare - pre-order & signed copies
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Birthday Book Collection
You are here
Psychology: Essential Thinkers, Classic Theories, and How They Inform Your World (Paperback)
Usually Available in 3-7 Days
An easy-to-understand exploration of what psychology is and why it matters.
Why is eyewitness testimony sometimes misleading? How does evolution explain what qualities people seek in online dating partners? These questions and many more are addressed in a convincing, thorough, and funny overview of why we are the way we are.
--Dave Haaga, Ph.D., Department Chair and Professor of Psychology, American University
Why do we do the things we do, think the thoughts we think, and feel the ways that we feel? Dr. Andrea Bonior has spent more than fifteen years in the field of psychology helping people discover "what makes them tick?" In her clinical practice, as well as various mental health agencies and counseling centers, she draws upon sound psychological principles to address anxiety disorders and depression, relationship issues, grief and loss, and other issues. As a mental health columnist and public speaker, Dr. Bonior encourages people to fuel their energy by connecting with themselves and cultivating the relationships around them.
Psychology bridges the gap between the theoretical and real-life, creating a space where you can explore how you and others fit into it all. Dr. Bonior looks at the biggest names, ideas, and studies in the history of psychology and translates their meaning to everyday situations and relationships. Both accessible and applicable, this reference book offers a foundational understanding of the study of the mind, as well as compelling insight into your own thoughts and behaviors.
Dr. Bonior covers the major fields of psychological study, including:
- Cognitive Psychology
- Behavioral Psychology
- Psychoanalytical Psychology
- Personality Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
About the Author
DR. ANDREA BONIOR is a licensed clinical psychologist, professor, columnist, and author. Thousands of people are familiar with her column -Baggage Check, - which she has written for The Washington Post Express for more than ten years. She's a frequent contributor to various popular media outlets, such as NPR, Forbes, The New York Times, HLN, CNN.com, MSNBC.com, Jezebel.com, U.S. News and World Report, Real Simple, Cosmopolitan, USA Today, Everyday with Rachael Ray, Glamour, Self, Good Housekeeping, Woman's Day, and Seventeen. Dr. Bonior received her B.A. in psychology from Yale University and completed her M.A. and Ph.D. in clinical psychology at American University, with post-doctoral work at George Washington University. She maintains a clinical practice, and serves on the faculty of Georgetown University. Find out more at www.drandreabonior.com/.