The days are getting noticeably longer and the coming of spring marks the beginning of a busy event season! Having learned the hard way that scheduling author visits during the winter is risky, we spent these quiet indoor months planning and learning about forthcoming books.
As a bookseller, I discover new writers and titles by reviewing catalogs, reading advance copies, and meeting with book publisher representatives. I am excited by many new books in the works! There is an amazing book by Robert MacFarlane about the world below our feet coming in June. Poet Ocean Vuong's luscious debut novel will also be available then. Louise Penny’s next Gamache mystery will be here at the end of August. I could go on… We have created a new feature on our website to spotlight a few titles for preorder - although any book can be requested so you are sure to get an early copy.
Since not everyone has access to the publishers' plans months in advance, I am curious about how you find your next great read. To that end, I invite you to browse our staff picks - on the wall when you enter the store or on our website. There are a number of local blogs including the wonderful Book Jam written by Norwich readers Lisa Christie and Lisa Cadow. We recently learned about the thoughtful reviews on Bookmarks posted by Michael Epstein, a retired physician who lives in Brownsville, VT. Our local libraries are great sources of material to mine for reading pleasure! The IndieNext list (also displayed in the store) gathers new book recommendations from booksellers across the country. Of course you may get your reading “assignments” from book clubs or Osher classes.
How and where do YOU discover books? ~ Liza
(Yes, that really is my current stack of advance reader copies!)
- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- Graduation Gift Books
- Race Relations...
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Lisa C's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Sara's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- Father's Day
- Mother's Day 2020 Suggestions
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes