Penny forwarded me a piece from the New York Times, “Why You Should Start Binge-Reading Right Now” by Ben Dolnick that I found both unsettling and comforting.
I have been concerned with my recent inability to “settle” with a book, but now understand that it has more to do with not carving out time to read than the array of writing in front of me. Ten minutes - or even a half hour - before bed is not enough time to get into the flow of a narrative.
After an evening’s power outage, Dolnick rediscovered the pleasures of reading for a longer stretch:“...in book after book, if you do push on through one chapter break, and then on through the chapter break after that, something amazing happens. Subplots that would once have been murky to the point of incomprehensibility (what was the deal with that dead sea captain again?) step into the light. Little jokes and echoes, separated by dozens or even hundreds of pages, come rustling out of the text forest.”
My ideal vacation is to settle in with a bag of books in a peaceful spot - in the summer by a lake or even on the back porch, in the winter in a cozy chair by the woodstove. And yes, binge-reading. My promise to myself is an hour of uninterrupted reading every day - a mini-vacation from daily tasks. Time to shut off the computer and open that book! - Liza
PS I encourage you to seek out the entire article - I cannot link it here because of the paper’s paywall.
- My Account
- Hours | Contact | Directions
- Bookstore Programs
- The Bookstore Story
- A Bookseller's Blotter
- Bookstore Employment
- Bookstore Scrapbook
- More than books
- The Book Jam Blog
- The Bookstore IS For Sale...
- What to Read Next...
- August 2020 Birthday Sale
- Paperbacks for Summer 2020
- Race Relations...
- Beth's Picks
- Brenna's Picks
- Carin's Picks
- Jennifer's Picks
- Kathryn's Picks
- Lisa C's Picks
- Liza B's Picks
- Penny's Picks
- Sara's Picks
- Susan's Picks
- Graduation Gift Books
- Pencil Games: Crosswords, Sudoku, Brain Teasers & more!
- 2020-21 Vermont Middle-Grade Children’s Book Award Nominees
- Father's Day
- British Library Crime Classics
- Mother's Day 2020 Suggestions
- Signed Books
- Signed Books
- Signed book FAQ
- Sarah Stewart Taylor | The Mountains Wild - pre-order & signed copies
- KJ Dell'Antonia | The Chicken Sisters - pre-order & signed copies
- Gretchen Cherington | Poetic License: A Memoir - pre-order signed copies!
- Teresa Lust | A Blissful Feast - signed copies
- Emma Wunsch | Recess Rebels - Miranda & Maude #3 - signed copies!
- Amber Lynn Natusch | Don't Say a Word - signed copies!
- Author Notes